Re: buildd ordering: where to make a suggestion?

[Riku Voipio]
> http://buildd.debian.org/stats/?arch=alpha&state=Needs-Build
>
> You will see that the order is Priority:, Section:, and within section
> alphabetic. Uncompiled packages are last, and people with wanna-build
> access can prioritize/deprioritize packages by hand.

Thank you, did not know this.  Number of reverse dependencies and age
seem to be missing from the ordering, and I believe that is a pity.

> Better than fudging build order is just to make sure that there is
> enough buildd power around to ensure everything get's built
> promptly.  Just adjusting build ordering will make *some* package
> allways lag behind.

I agree that enough buildd power would be a good thing, but that do
not mean the ordering should not be tuned.  Packages will a lot of
reverse dependencies, and at least packages with reverse dependencies
the buildd queue, should be built before their reverse dependencies.
Also, if age is included, there will not be any packages lagging too
far behind, and the problem with low priority packages never getting
buildd priority would be reduced.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen