Re: [etch-and-half] release notes review

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 04:01:02PM +0200, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good work ! (I'm not just talking about the release notes ;).
>
> You probably picked you word carefully, but still, let me do some bike
> shedding and play the ???role of the idiot ;)

please do

> ???I guess you already had some discussions on whether it should be
> emphasized that "Etch-n-Half is _not_ like any other point release
> because it adds hardware support".
> (At the same time, I understand that we want to emphasize it's like any
> Debian point release : "It's stable ; It won't break your system ; It
> was designed on `opt-in` not `opt-out` fashion").

If I'm emphasizing any point, it is that it is nearly a no-op for
existing systems unless they do something to pull in the new
packages - that is, as you say, its an opt-in thing.

> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 05:25 -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> > The etchnhalf team and the Frans Pop (on behalf of the d-i team) have
> > drafted release notes for the etchnhalf portion of the upcoming 4.0r4
> > release. We would appreciate any feedback you may have.
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~dannf/tmp/etchnhalf/
>
> * In the first paragraph, the reference to "2.6.24 etch-and-a-half
>   kernel..."  seems a bit to come from nowhere. Is it supposed to
>   be introduced in another page ?

This is introduced in the first paragraph "This includes packages
based upon the Linux 2.6.24 kernel...", and then referred to in the
3rd. Do you have an alternate way of wording it that you believe would
be more clear?

> * Regarding the ipw3945d to iwl3945 transition, is the
>   problem http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi#wlan0_rename
>   likely to occur ? If yes, it might deserve a note/link.

Good suggestion, I've added a link to that page. Thanks!

--
dann frazier