Re: ignore bug 395252 'mplayer embeds ffmpeg' for lenny

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:10:21AM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
> hi
>
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:28:27PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > I'm afraid I can't accede to your request. This bug has been open since
> > 25 Oct 2006. The etch-ignore tag was added 16 Dec 2006, where it was
> > explicitly stated that it's RC for lenny.  I pinged the bug on 28 Mar
> > 2008, to again state that it's RC for lenny.
>
> May you please explain which part of the debian-policy, or which
> release goal, it is violating?

Neither, it's the RC policy which carries more weight than a RG:
http://release.debian.org/lenny/rc_policy.txt

5a) Packages in the archive must not be so buggy or out of date that we
refuse to support them.

The security team has confirmed multiple times that this is no longer
supportable.

> > I'm concerned as to why there as been seemingly no progress in over a
> > year to resolving this issue.
>
> This is all explained in the long email I sent; anyway, let me summarize again.
>
> Up to a 2008-05-19 , the version of ffmpeg-free in unstable was
> totally incompatible with mplayer.
>
> The new version of ffmpeg-free is based on a compatible code, but the
> quilt patches disable a symbol that is needed to link to mplayer.

And that was the case since 16 Dec 2006? Why was this not brought up
sooner, and why has there been zero effort made into resolving this
issue, as far as we can see?

Neil
--
<pixie> hermanr_: I never studied german
<pixie> I can just read some of it because it makes sense