Re: openafs in etchnhalf

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:48:45AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de> writes:
>
> > is anybody taking care of the openafs modules which do not compile any
> > more with the etchnhalf kernel?
> >
> > The openafs modules in backports.org do compile though with the etchnhalf
> > kernel.
>
> I'm quite happy to upload new packages for etchnhalf, but I'm afraid
> they'd have to be just that -- packages of a newer upstream.  The upstream
> changes to support newer kernels are far too comprehensive for me to be
> able to isolate them and apply them separately, and the result would be
> poorly-tested and less stable than going to the current packages from
> Debian testing.
>
> So... I guess my question is, what is the policy for etchnhalf for
> packages that involve kernel modules?  Is it fair game to upload a new
> upstream version, unlike the normal stable release policies?

I think the answer would have to be creating a *new* package (e.g.,
openafs-source-etchnhalf) that can be installed next to the existing
etch package. Otherwise we risk introducing regressions w/ the 2.6.18
kernel. I also would think that we'd want to provide an upgrade path
in lenny that upgrades the etchnhalf specific package to the
openafs-source (or whatever) in lenny - but there maybe reasons not to
do this. I believe Daniel was working on a plan for this at one point,
maybe he has a suggestion?

--
dann frazier