Re: xerces transition

* Jay Berkenbilt [Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:45:15 -0400]:

> I have begun a transition to a new organization for the xerces
> packages.  I hope that this will make future xerces transitions much
> easier.  In particular, there will no longer be more than one minor
> version of any major version of xerces in the distribution at a time,
> and the -dev packages will be named without the soname of the library
> for source-compatible releases.  This is a change I have made with
> input and validation from upstream, and it makes xerces more
> consistent with many of the other development packages.

Hello, seems this mail fell out through the pipes, sorry for that.

In any case, it seems there won't be much to do about this on the
release team's part, since old library names will be present both in
testing and unstable, which makes of this transition a non-pain.

Since all packages need changing its build-dependencies, there won't be
need for binNMUs either.

> Once xerces-c2 has transitioned to testing along with all the things
> that depend on it, I'll wait a short time and then request the removal
> of xerces28 as well.

Seems xerces28 is ready to go, except for xqilla still build-depending
on it. I see no bug filed against xqilla, though -- possibly because its
binary packages depend on libxerces-c28 already (there was a NMU that
did not touch the build-depends).

Thanks, and let us know if there's anything we could assist with,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                                         Listening to: Queen - Breakthru