RFC: expat transition or update - before or after lenny?

Hello,

The expat library [1] is outdated for some time now. I prepared an
update accordingly to the request in #429175 [2]. But this update
would/could include to drop the compatibility SONAME link and therefor a
renaming of the library package and a transition of all packages
depending on libexpat1, which also includes the d-i, would be necessary.

I'm therefor requesting your comments, if this transition should happen
before or after Etch or if you would vote for an update only, without
dropping the symlink. Ubuntu already updated the package dropping the
symlink without a transition which lead to LP: #218963 (3). However it
seems, that the update itself did not affect any other package.

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/expat.html
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/429175
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/expat/+bug/218963

BTW: What would be the best name for the new library package, dropping
the compatibility symlink? Is there somewhere a guide for library
renaming for transitions?

Regards, Daniel