Re: Please let gnash 0.8.4 into Lenny

2008/11/11 Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>:

> Please explain why releasing 0.8.3 would be a mistake and why 0.8.4
> solves that? It's just impossible to review such a big diff that
> targeted fixes are preferred in general...

I know the diff is quite big, the current release cycle for Gnash is 6
months and there is a lot of work among different versions, as there
are many people are working on it.

> It sounds a bit strange that you won't accept responsability while you
> didn't explain why 0.8.3 is not worth releasing.
>
> I can assure you that nothing is lost already and that I try to be
> reasonable.

This is the list of improvements since 0.8.3:

    * Keep Adobe happy with our users and our users happy with us by
      changing "Flash player" into "SWF player" everywhere.  Adobe
      claims "Flash" as a trademark and had asked a Linux distributor
      to fix it.
    * The popular SWF Twitter badge now renders correctly.
    * Fix parsing of urls containing multiple question marks
    * Fix support for movies embedding multiple sound streams
    * Support for loading PNG and GIF images added.
    * Improved rendering of SWF movies because of the less visible
      changes listed below.
    * Support for writing RGB/RGBA PNG images and JPEG images.
    * Works with Potlatch OpenStreetMap editor
    * New 'flvdumper' utility for analyzing FLV video files.
    * XPI packaging support for Mozilla & Firefox.

Gnash is much more stable now, regressions in video playback in 0.8.3
have been fixed, and Youtube now works fine.

"It'll hurt more to ship Gnash 0.8.3 with 8.2.0 than Gnash 0.8.4 RC1" [3]

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash/2008-10/msg00002.html
[2] http://www.sfr-fresh.com/unix/www/gnash-0.8.4.tar.gz:a/gnash-0.8.4/NEWS
[3] http://n2.nabble.com/Fwd:-ship-Gnash-0.8.4-RC1-in-OLPC-8.2.0--td1322121.html

On the other side, as there are no reverse dependencies on Gnash (at
least that I'm aware of), no other packages would be affected by the
change.

Greetings,
Miry