Re: Please allow desktop-base 5.0.2 in lenny

* Yves-Alexis Perez [Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:14:35 +0100]:

> The theme change fixes a naughty bug. Splashy themes were once installed
> in /etc/splashy/themes, so desktop-base installed its theme there. But
> splashy moved the theme folder to /usr/share/splashy/themes were it
> belongs, but replacing /etc/splashy/themes by a symlink, thus breaking
> desktop-base. The situation is currently broken in testing.

> This upload aims to fix the problem by moving the themes to
> /usr/share/themes. I tried to keep conffiles a user could have made, but
> after a second thought it may not be a good idea. I don't think anyone
> would have made a change there, but if someone has, it'll store a
> .dpkg-new file in /etc/splashy/themes, thus preventing the remove (and
> replace by the symlink).

> Maybe I should just move those files and lose any user-made modification?
> Or should I let an user with modifications in those files do the correct
> stuff to fix the problem? (if there is).

> What's the RT preference wrt. this issue?

Hm, tricky. I think, in the first place, that a chance of the upgrade
failing, even if highly unlikely, is bad. If a user modified those
files, they'll be left with a broken system.

Secondly, I think user changes should not be lost if at all possible.
The key here is that "not be lost" is not the same as "preserved and
providing the same functionality" (in this case, I mean).

So, I would suggest something similar to what you have:

  * modified files under /etc/splashy move (without changing name) to
    a /etc/slpashy.bak directory (created by the maintainer script)

  * a note is left in README.Debian saying that modified files are to be
    found there (I don't think this is worth of NEWS.Debian, given the
    low chances of this happening).

How does that sound? (I realize the scripts will become messier, so we
can also wait to see if other members of the release team --or other
developers-- have an opinion.)

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Listening to: Dar Williams - Southern California Wants To Be Western New York