Re: Preparation of the next stable Debian GNU/Linux update

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> * Paul Hardy [Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:21:39 -0700]:
>
> Hello, Paul.
>
>> Can you include the latest version of the package I'm maintaining,
>> unifont 1:5.1.20080914-1, which is currently in testing?
>>
>> * Closes all known bugs (some of which had been open in Debian for years).
>> * Addresses potential DFSG issues, notably with a replacement of the
>> 11,000+ glyphs in the Hangul Syllables block.
>
> Thanks for your interest in getting a better version of unifont into
> Etch, but rules for updating packages in stable releases are quite
> strict: only fixes for RC bugs are allowed, and new functionality seldom
> makes it in.

Adeodato,

The DFSG issue should be RC; that's the only reason I mentioned
unifont.  I replaced the Hangul Syllables block of over 11,000 glyphs
after finding out that the Debian FTP team rejected the hanterm-fonts
package because of DFSG concerns when the original Hanterm package was
uploaded into Debian years ago.  The release version and backport
version of unifont in stable both contain a Hangul Syllables block
generated from a font that was in the hanterm-fonts package.  The
hanterm-fonts package was listed as licensed under GPL in other
flavors of Unix, but that turned out to be incorrect -- hence its
rejection in Debian.

If this is not a strong enough reason, I'll follow up with
backports.org.  I hadn't brought up a backport previously because I
knew everyone was trying to focus on a lenny release.

Paul Hardy
GPG Key ID: E6E6E390