Re: removing libdb 4.3

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 15:04 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The bug on mmorph was not filed by the db maintainers, it was filed by a
> release manager.  I guess mmorph was overlooked when the db maintainers
> filed bugs requesting migration to db4.6 a year ago.  That's unfortunate,
> but it's not a reason to keep db4.3 around in lenny when we can easily
> dispense with it.

Once again, I have no objection to the removal of db4.3.  It needs to
happen.  I was speaking to the future: that, in the future, removals of
packages--especially libraries--should be handled under the same
criteria as the addition of new packages or upgrades of packages.  That
means that removals should happen before freeze, or not at all, as a
general rule.

Of course it's too late to impose that rule now; the rule has for a
while been that library removals at the last minute are just fine
(provided they are announced in advance).  I'm asking that we change the
rule for the next time.

Thomas