Re: State of pci.ids

> I think that changing the format of the file (with other suffix) would
> also be helpful, i.e. instead of using tab-indent I would explicitly
> writing vendor id (ev. other implicit ids) in every line.
>
> In this manner it is easier to grep for hardware, and also to merge
> files from different sources (cat | sort -u), without requiring
> external libraries or complex scripts.

First, I do not believe it would help anything -- the file would be less
readable, larger and harder to edit. This is not a fair price for
simplifying a couple of scripts.

Second, merging of pci.ids does not help with the updating problem
I have described. Do you see any way how it could?

Third, while grepping for ID's is appealing, it is nowhere as simple as
it looks -- for example, the subsystems can be present either as
sub-items of the devices, or as stand-alone entries.

> [Note: other files *try* to use the same format, e.g. usb.ids, zorro.ids
> and eisa.ids (in kernel sourcers). But usb.ids has frequently spaces
> instead of tabs.]

I hope this will get much better soon as a common administration system
for all the ID files is almost finished.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares                          <mj@ucw.cz>   http://mj.ucw.cz/
There really exists a Microsoft product that doesn't suck -- unfortunately, it's a vacuum cleaner.