Re: Should 470629 be RC?

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:02:46AM +0100, Greg Kochanski wrote:
> Anyhow, even if we take the Popcon figure, we're still talking
> $500,000 of wasted energy.    Even if we *also* take your
> CPU usage from top, we're still talking $50,000 of wasted energy.
> So, even if you're completely right, isn't it worth fixing?

Yes, but not in lenny timeframe. Lenny has been _frozen_, with
very specific rules that does not inlude enviroimental or money
saving issues.

Furthermore, if we are to take envoirmental issues seriously, we need
to take a systematic approach. Taking a effectively _randomly_ found bug
and delaying a release for it would be terrible project managment
practice. I can easily point to dozens of unneccesarily polling
applications (artsd, sysvinit, dhcdbd, ..) and modules (sdhci, ath5k,
thinkpad_acpi(!), e1000). Why is libchipcard-tools above all these?

I agree that the topic is important, so a systematic effort eliminating
excessive polling (and other power-consuming bugs) in sqeeze would be
important to start. Will you take the lead? But that topic has nothing
to do with debian-release.

Cheers,
Riku