Re: Ada packages for Lenny

> This is my second post about this; the first received no answer.
>
> In Lenny, all Ada packages must transition to gnat-4.3 (new ABI, new
> sonames, new upstream releases of everything). Most packages made the
> transition before the freeze. Unfortunately, due to reasons outside my
> control, a few packages were still in the NEW queue when the freeze took
> place. They are now in unstable where they fix all remaining RC bugs, and
> I hereby request they be unblocked so they can make it into Lenny.
>
> These packages are:

> gnat-gps - new upstream release; only package depending on libgtkada2,
> and consequently uploaded only after libgtkada2 hit unstable; fixes 3 RC
> bugs:
>
> #445772 gnat-gps: FTBFS: unsat b-deps: libgnatprj-dev: Depends: gnat-4.2
> (= 4.2.1-7) but it is not going to be installed
> #468310 gnat-gps: FTBFS: libgnatprj-dev no longer in unstable
> #493850 gnat-gps FTBFS due to hardcoded python2.4 use
>
> All packages have been in unstable for 13 days or more with no new bugs
> reported.
>
> I request these exceptions because:
>
> - leaving lenny with a half-done transition (some packages depending on
> libgnat-4.1, others depending on libgnat-4.3) would completely break
> Debian as a consistent Ada development platform; not to mention that the
> RC bugs mentioned above are still in lenny today;
>
> - removing the packages from lenny altogether would be a disservice to
> users and would greatly reduce the appeal Debian currently has for Ada
> programmers (Debian is the technology leader in this area).
>
> - the reasons for missing the freeze were outside my control as the
> libraries were in NEW when the freeze took place.
>
> - As I read them, the published freeze rules say nothing specific against
> new upstream releases.
>
> I am willing to re-upload these packages to testing-proposed-updates if
> you think this is necessary. Also I am willing to amend the packages or
> provide additional details if the information here is insufficient for
> you to make a decision.
>
> Please?

Hi,

the Debian Ada tool-chain environment quality is also why lot's of
software engineers like me use Debian for years.
I use gnat-gps package to develop AdaDesigner & GNATGPR software (not in
Debian yet ;-) ; gnat-gps package does not contain critical bugs and
should enter in Debian Lenny :
 - to maintain the Ada eco-system
 - to maintain Debian a the Linux reference platform for Ada.

Please include the requested packages to Lenny,

Best regards,

David SAUVAGE