Re: [Yaird-devel] Bug#496500: yaird: fails to create initrd when running 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:29:39PM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
>This is bug 431534, exposed again because stable has an old version of
>yaird but a recent kernel.
I see some different approaches to this:
1. Leave this bug open but do nothing about it.
* This bug is not a security issue in itself
* Security-related kernel updates can switch to initramfs-tools
2. Release 0.0.12-18+etch1 fixing only this specific issue
* Security-updates must be minimal
3. Release backport of newest yaird in unstable
* Linux changes are large already, so "must be minimal" cannot
* Most if not all recent yaird changes are to support the major
changes to recent Linux kernels
4. Drop yaird from etchnhalf
* Yaird has been dropped from testing (see bug#457177)
If we do 1) when should probably go through and etch-tag all other bugs
If we do 3) then a single change must be made compared to current
package in Sid: LVM workaround must be enabled by default.
Cc'ing release team and security team for input.
NB! Even if yaird really is "generally too buggy" as judged in
bug#457177, the current release in unstable is far better than the
version currently in Etch, (contains no known regressions, and actually
works out-of-the-box in many cases with recent Linux kernels whereas
etch release don't).
* Jonas Smedegaard - idealist og Internet-arkitekt
* Tlf.: +45 40843136 Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
[x] quote me freely [ ] ask before reusing [ ] keep private
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----