Re: pod2man update

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:38:10PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Niko Tyni [Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:42:35 +0300]:
>
> > Release team: is there any chance to still get the newer Pod::Man and
> > friends into lenny as a new package?  The 'pod2man --utf8' functionality
> > would fix #480997 and #492037, and there are also bugfixes for #448204
> > and #480565 included.
>
> > Alternatively, would you consider a corresponding patch for the perl
> > package for inclusion into lenny? As noted in #480997, turning UTF8 into
> > "X"s is a regression from 5.8.8, although it was relying on undefined
> > behaviour.
>
> What's the size for that patch to perl? I think UTF-8 should be well
> supported, and regressions wrt Etch would be best avoided, yes.

Running diffstat on the two perl core upstream changes that update
podlators-2.0.6 to podlators-2.1.2 gives

but as Russ noted, much of that is new test cases and the like.

I'm a bit out of sync in the discussion because of some trouble with
lists.debian.org accepting my mails. I already sent last night a request
for a freeze exception for the new separate podlators-perl package
as I hadn't had any response to my earlier inquiry quoted above.

Anyway, I'm fine with either way, be it having podlators-perl in lenny
or patching the perl package. Just let me know which one you prefer.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org