Re: Planning a GNUstep transition.

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:03:09AM -0400, Hubert Chathi wrote:
> Can someone from the release team please respond?

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:11:55 -0400, Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org> said:

> > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 13:37:22 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:
> >> Has comprehensive staging been done to make sure that these packages
> >> do all build from source in the new version, or are you just relying
> >> on maintainers to take advantage of what's in experimental?

> > OK, I have rebuilt all the GNUstep related packages, and they all build
> > fine (aside from the ones that I mentioned before that we will upload
> > manually) except for:
> > - cynthiune.app
> > - projectmanager.app
> >   These need minor source fixes (missing #includes).  These are
> >   currently orphaned/ITAed, so I could upload fixed versions right away
> >   which will build fine against the current GNUstep libraries, and then
> >   they can be binNMUed when the libraries are ready, if that makes
> >   things any easier.  (The same could also be done for terminal.app, to
> >   have one less package that we need to update by hand.)
> > - helpviewer.app
> > - lusernet.app
> >   Bigger problems (well, lusernet.app just has some missing #includes,
> >   but I got tired of chasing them down).  But Yavor tells me that these
> >   packages have significant problems currently anyways, so we probably
> >   wouldn't feel too bad if they were removed from testing in their
> >   current state.

> > Let us know what else needs to be done, and if we can go ahead with this
> > transition.  (And as usual, please Cc:
> > pkg-gnustep-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org.)  The updated GNUstep
> > packages have been uploaded to experimental, and have all passed through
> > the NEW queue except for gnustep-gui, which was rejected due to license
> > issues which have now been resolved.

Please go ahead with fixing cynthiune.app and projectmanager.app in unstable
if that's not already done, and then feel free to begin this transition in
unstable.  (Since this is all self-contained and you asked before anyone
else who might be starting another entangled transition, I don't think it's
a problem to start this before gnustep-gui is through NEW.)

And of course, as packages are ready to be binNMUed, please let us know.

Thanks,