Re: [etch-and-half] release notes review

Hi,

Good work ! (I'm not just talking about the release notes ;).

You probably picked you word carefully, but still, let me do some bike
shedding and play the role of the idiot ;)

I guess you already had some discussions on whether it should be
emphasized that "Etch-n-Half is _not_ like any other point release
because it adds hardware support".
(At the same time, I understand that we want to emphasize it's like any
Debian point release : "It's stable ; It won't break your system ; It
was designed on `opt-in` not `opt-out` fashion").

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 05:25 -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> The etchnhalf team and the Frans Pop (on behalf of the d-i team) have
> drafted release notes for the etchnhalf portion of the upcoming 4.0r4
> release. We would appreciate any feedback you may have.
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~dannf/tmp/etchnhalf/

* In the first paragraph, the reference to "2.6.24 etch-and-a-half
  kernel..."  seems a bit to come from nowhere. Is it supposed to
  be introduced in another page ?

* Regarding the ipw3945d to iwl3945 transition, is the
  problem http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi#wlan0_rename
  likely to occur ? If yes, it might deserve a note/link.

>   http://people.debian.org/~fjp/tmp/etchnhalf/

* "is essentially just the most recent point release for etch"
  Of course this will have to be updated once 4.0r5 is released
  but I like the phrasing otherwise.
  Let me rephrase this as a question : Is EtchnHalf equal to
  4.0r4 or is it any Etch>=4.0r4 with some updated driver ?

* "[use] the current release of Debian Installer for lenny"
  Do qe really mean "current", or the "beta 2" ?

* Can we add some hints to explain why netinst seems the best
  the pick, but it's only available for amd64 and i386.

Finally, I would like to reuse/refactor the wiki page EtchAndAHalf
to list FAQ/Frequent problem, à la Sarge2EtchUpgrade.
As usually, links to official release notes would be available at the
top of the page to avoid duplication of content.
It could be linked from DebianInstaller/BrokenThings, and/or from the
main release notes (since it isn't only for hardware).

Thanks again,

Franklin