Re: why isn't cppunit moving to testing?

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 02:44:12PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So bjorn.haxx.se says:
>
> Checking cppunit
>
>     * trying to update cppunit from 1.12.0-3 to 1.12.1-1 (candidate is 98 days old)
>     * Updating cppunit makes 2 non-depending packages uninstallable on i386: libsp-gxmlcpp-dev, libsp-gxmlcpp1c2a
>           o binary package libsp-gxmlcpp-dev is part of source package sp-gxmlcpp
>                 + sp-gxmlcpp has the same version in unstable and testing (1.0.20040603-3)
>           o binary package libsp-gxmlcpp1c2a is part of source package sp-gxmlcpp (explained above)
>

> This leaves me with three questions:
>
> 1. How can cppunit make a non-depending package uninstallable?
>
> 2. The gxmlcpp packages are already the same version on testing and
>    unstable, so if there would be a problem moving cppunit to testing,
>    the same problem must already exist for unstable.  What is the
>    problem?

OK, so I discovered the answer to #2: it is indeed uninstallable in
sid; see below.  I think gxmlcpp just needs to be rebuilt to cope with
the cppunit SONAME change (cppunit lib package is now
libcppunit-1.12-1).  Does this need a bug filed on the package or can
it be done by request to the right people?

# apt-get install libsp-gxmlcpp1c2a
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libsp-gxmlcpp1c2a: Depends: libcppunit-1.12-0 but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

Thanks,
-Steve