Re: RFH: Multiarch capable toolchain as release goal

* Lennart Sorensen (lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca) [080415 22:26]:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:03:54PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Goswin von Brederlow (goswin-v-b@web.de) [080415 20:34]:
> > >    include files in the multiarch locations.
> > >   Bug-Url: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=369064
> > >   State: All done except for binutils. Patch exists.
> >
> > Binutils are frozen for Lenny, so please no additional changes.
>
> I suspect by the time a fully working multiarch is done, x86 won't need
> it anymore because everything will be fully 64bit. :)
>
> Now I suppose sparc and others might still like it if they have
> performance advantages of 32bit code over 64bit code, in which case
> keeping 64bit for only those programs where the extra address space is
> worth it would be great.

I like the idea of multiarch quite much. But:

People, we want to release soon. Anyone is welcome to hack on feature in
experimental, but please do not push for stuff to unstable which is
expected to break stuff. If it wasn't important enough to push it during
the last 12 months, it isn't important enough to hold up the release
now.

Cheers,
Andi