Re: Bugs that'll block python 2.5

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [2008-04-15 14:56:40 +0200]:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > * Josselin Mouette [Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:28:00 +0200]:
> > > The solution is really simple, just add them to python’s Provides: list.
> >
> > Plus, uhm, can't really be done for (c)elementtree, since python 2.5
> > provides the modules under a different name/namespace.
>
> ?!
>
> In that case it might be a good idea to build python-celementtree for
> python 2.5 as well... I haven't heard of technical incompatibility but
> just that it was bundled with python 2.5 and thus unneeded/in conflict.

Since elementtree/celementtree is still released as a standalone module,
a program or library might be using newer features that aren't available
in the stdlib version; this would be more complex to fix than just a
simple try/except ImportError.

> But if the namespace is different, there's no file conflict and I don't
> understand why we cared about not generating the module for python 2.5.

I'm not really sure either; it seems over-eager to get rid of the
standalone module, even if most software can be fairly easily fixed to
import the module from either location.