Re: ghc6

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 02:03:50PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> Can you please trigger build-attempts for ghc6 on
>     mips, mipsel, powerpc and s390

I doubt that it will change something. If the build died on some ressource
problems, only the admin can help. And Wasting 3 or more hours of buildd time
is not nice. Especially on s390 which uses buildds running on production
machines.

> (if you have the ability to choose, the machines with most RAM are
> probably best)?

No, this ability does not exist, at least not without help of the buildd
maintainers.

> mips, mipsel and s390 have built the same code for earlier Debian
> revisions, so there should be no problem there.

gcc 4.2 vs. 4.3 is a change which may break things. And in this case it
seems to have changed the memory usage.

Anyway, I digged a little bit into it. The failing package is the template
haskell support package. It produces 12 MiB of C source and the compiler barfs
on them. As mips and s390 does not support template haskell anyway, it should
be no problem to disable that package and hope that there are no futher
problems.

The second possible fix would be that the compiler splits the source in several
files. It would reduce the possibilities of interfunction optimization but
raise the possibility of a sucessfull build.

Bastian

--
There's coffee in that nebula!
		-- Capt. Kathryn Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager, "The Cloud"