[alpha, amd64, hppa, i386] GCC-4.3 as the default compilers for lenny?

Hi,

Having gcc-4.2 as default on i386 and amd64, while most other
architectures have gcc-4.3 means most maintainers never test their
packages with gcc-4.3. This is making life miserable for those ports
that actually use gcc-4.3:

1) people upload packages with known gcc-4.3 bugs and not bothering
to fix them.

2) people applying gcc 4.3 bugfixes without actually testing them with
gcc-4.3. Often these turn out to be incomplete fixes.

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:30:54PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   Sigh, could we avoid the same discussion over and over, people are not
> supposed (we never asked it in the past, and I see no valid reason to do
> so) to update to the last stable point release before upgrading to
> stable+1.

Dist-upgrade will not fail due to people still having this bug in their
kernels, so there is no need for users to upgrade kernel _before_
upgrading to lenny. After upgrade reboot to the new lenny kernel is
normal procedure.

>   THe _BEST_ example of that are buildd's that for now run etch (even
> some sarge not so long time ago) and have a sid chroot to build. Not
> keeping the CLD patch means that we break our own buildd infrastructure.
> Yay.

This is making a mountain of a molehill. We have one amd64 and one i386
buildd. Certainly installing a (security!) kernel update on two buildd's
is a better solution than having old version of gcc on the two most
used archs we have..