Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

Here is a quick update on this release goal.  Thanks to the great help
of Peter Eisentraut and Morten Werner Forsbring with NMUing packages,
there is now around 30 packages left in unstable without dependency
information in their init.d scripts.  10 of these are scheduled for
removal, 10 are pending, and 10 are still being discussed by the
package maintainer.  I hope the last 20 will be fixed soon.

In testing, around 140 packages are still missing the header.  I hope
the fixed packages will propagate into testing soon, to make it safe
for more users to enable dependency based boot sequencing in testing.

Next step is to find bugs in these headers, either by activating
insserv to use them, or trying to write a system to automatically
detect loops and other problems with them.

I also hope to have time now to work on the documentation and other
issues related to dependency based boot sequencing.

still the place to look for status information.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen