Re: D-I Etch+1/2 kernel selection (was: Beta1 missing decisions and possible timeline)

On Tuesday 05 February 2008, dann frazier wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:53:43AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Finally I created the etch-support udeb which does two things:
> > 1) add an early base-installer hook script that sets the 'altmeta'
> >    template
> > 2) add an partman init.d hook script that changes the default
> >    inode_size from 256 to 128 (only for i386 and amd64) [2]
>
> Is it known whether or not bootloaders on other archs (the etch
> versions, in particular) are affected by this change? I'm wondering if
> we shouldn't change the etch default to 128, except for archs with
> etch bootloaders that are known to support 256.

As you may have seen on the d-boot list I have changed this in the final
version after a discussion with Ted Ts'o.
I now include a complete replacement of the mke2fs.conf file that has the
same defaults as current Etch. Besides the reverted inode_size default this
also reverts the addition of the "ext_attr" feature.

> > There are still things to decide, and IMO consensus on this should be
> > reached soon!
> > - The naming of the etch+1/2 kernel meta packages is now suddenly
> > essential for the installer and should thus be decided on ASAP.
>
> We talked about this on #debian-kernel last week, and
> linux-image-2.6-$flavor-etchnhalf had no objections.

OK. It's now hardcoded in D-I, so no chance to change your mind anymore :-)