Re: [stable] kernel upload to p-u

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:42:50PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think we should add patches to update the forcedeth and e1000 drivers
> to the latest version, too. Those are many changes, but also many new
> boxes require those new drivers: obviously most nvidia based athlon
> and opteron boards, and many xeon board (supermicro, tyan).
>
> What is the chance to get these drivers, backported from 2.6.22 or .23
> into stable? I know we most fear regressions here, how extensive must
> the tests be to "get it in"?

If you're talking about a complete upgrade of the driver, then the
testing must be extensive (imo). I'd suggest talking to the associated
vendors to see if they can test the change across their supported
hardware.

Individual fixes for individual bugs are easier as they can often be
more easily tested. Things like adding PCI IDs with possibly
additional code that only executes for those IDs are pretty low-risk.

Major driver rework that we cannot easily test will likely need to
wait for etch & 1/2 (as already noted).

--
dann frazier