Re: T&S for Release Assistents

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 01:29:48PM +0000, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On jeu, aoû 30, 2007 at 11:51:36 +0000, Luk Claes wrote:
> > Pierre Habouzit
> > 393403 Source package contains non-free IETF RFC/I-D's
>
>   NMUed.

> > 294520 qtparted: Incorrect handling of extended partitions

  The patch is commited with a test in the test-suite. I don't know when
the parted maintainers plan to upload, maybe I should do some more
kicking around.  But it's pending.

> > 356055 loadlin: loadlin.exe cannot be built from source

  On this one, Sam who happens to be yasm maintainer believes upstream
is not that interested about the patch of tasm symtax compat that Samuel
Thibault wrote before (and that does not apply properly on recent
versions anyways). I lack the time to refactor it, and I don't know yasm
or tasm, so it doesn't help at all.

  Though, loadlin seems to be the sole way for some class of users
(mostly blind people using braille ttys) to install debian in an
accesibility PoV. win32-loader does not helps very well in that regard
according to people I talked about this issue to.

  So I fear that if we want the issue to be fixe, the available options
are the statu-quo (which is against DFSG) or the move to contrib. Note
that what really matters is that loadlin.exe is present in our CDs.
Strictly speaking, loadlin is 100% free, it's just that we don't have
the tool in Debian to build it. I may be flamed to death for what I'll
say, but I'm not sure why we couldn't ship a loadlin.exe on the CDs with
loadlin in contrib. It seems somehow unfair to me to prevent blind
people to install debian properly (and not use loadlin.exe ever after
that) because not enough well-sighted people are interested in fixing
it.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit