Re: Release goal: enforce the use of testsuites when available

Lucas Nussbaum writes ("Re: Release goal: enforce the use of testsuites when available"):
> Ian Jackson wrote autopkgtest as a framework to test packages.
> Typically, it should be used to enable such testsuites, and run them on
> a regular basis. Another advantage of this is that it would allow to
> find regressions in packages after they have been built, and not only at
> build time.

Right.

> So, a better release goal would probably be to enable testsuites for
> autopkgtest when the package already provides a testsuite. This is also
> less likely to break packages, since it wouldn't affect the build.
> But for this RG to be useful, you'd need to have regular runs of
> autopkgtest over the archive. Ian told at debconf that he was planning
> to setup something to do that. Ian, can we get an update on that? Would
> it be for Ubuntu, Debian, or both?

It's currently running for Ubuntu but not for Debian.  I have next
week off and hope to get it running for Debian then; the machine I'm
going to be running it on (my old colo box) arrived with me last
weekend.

For Ubuntu I've been trying it out on the relatively innocuous `Ubuntu
main' component and it seems now to be in reasonable shape; last week
I set up to file bugs automatically.

I have a couple of things I would like to discuss with debian-devel
before I set it going filing lots of bugs there.  Particularly there
seems to be a difference between the code (in gdebi) used by
autopkgtest to satisfy build-dependencies and that used by sbuild.

Ian.