Re: MySQL transition 5.0->5.1 with new libmysqlclient16

Hi Christian,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:53:10AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hello release team

> While preparing 5.1.21beta I noticed that the client libray soname version
> has been raised which was not planned when they first started the
> 5.1 branch.

> .plan:
> * During the next 1-2 weeks I will upload the new packages to experimental
>   to ensure that they at least build on all architectures.
> * I build PHP, Python and Perl against it to check if there are any obvious
>   incompatibilities.
> * After your "go" I upload to unstable and file bugs against all
>   build-depending packages.
> * If you want a deadline I NMU remaining build-depending packages afterwards.

My only request concerning your proposal is that the -dev package name be
left alone, so that existing packages which build-depend on
libmysqlclient15-dev can be fixed with a simple rebuild on the autobuilders
instead of forcing everyone to do sourceful uploads of their packages to
change build-dependencies.  The greater the number of reverse-dependencies a
library has, the more important this is for making a smooth transition
possible.

Unless you were planning on keeping libmysqlclient15off around in unstable
in parallel?