Re: IPv6 in Debian

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Sure. While we're at it, can we also have a question "enable UTF-8"? Oh,

We already do.  We ask which locale to select, and anything that tries for
UTF-8 in a non-UTF-8 locale better know what it is doing (it is often
correct do to it, but you need to know HOW to do it).

And there are a LOT of bugs in that UTF-8 support thing. Really. Probably
worse than IPv6 in an IPv4 system behaviour...

> and perhaps "enable laptop support" might be nice as well, as could be
> "enable udev" -- my personal pet peeve.

Enable laptop support is done, we have a laptop-detect script to know what
to do at runtime.  As for udev, if we had the vast majority of our users
*not* needing udev, then yes, it would make sense to ask about it in the
installer.

> Sorry for the sarcasm, but while this type of thing might work, it just
> doesn't scale; and if we go ahead adding such a question to the

There is not much that is as fundamental as IPv4/IPv6 support nowadays, as
far as the system itself goes, and the breakage it can cause due to external
issues (not just bugs in applications).

> Besides, just disabling ipv6 is a very blunt way to fix stuff. If

It is a work-around.  But it is *also* an optimization.

And an optimization *makes sense* when you know a damn huge majority of your
users has no use for IPv6 at all at this moment, and won't have any for the
next two or three years.

> bugs; we should aim to fix those bugs, and that aim should be part of
> the release goals, rather than having the idea that just dropping ipv6
> entirely if there *might* be problems is a great way to work around
> issuees.

Who said anything about dropping IPv6, or about not considering any failure
to properly handle IPv6 as the release-critical bug it is?

I want easy selection of a system optimized for IPv4, or optimized for IPv6.
That's about it.

  Henrique Holschuh