flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.48.0.1etch1 for Stable

Hi Stable Debian-Release,
Hi Security Team,

On 11 July I was notified of a newer upstream release of the Adobe Flash
plugin.  I updated flashplugin-nonfree in Unstable on the same day.

On 12 July I uploaded flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.48.0.1etch1 to Stable.  I
did not go via the Security Team because last time I was told that the
Security Team does not support "contrib" so that such updates should go
via Stable release.

On 18 July I uploaded flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.48.0.2~bpo.1 to Backports,
just in case the Stable release would take time.

Now I read this:

  http://ftp-master.debian.org/proposed-updates.html
  NOK
  flashplugin-nonfree - Fix download patch
  This should probably better go via volatile/backports as one doesn't
  necessarily want to upgrade the installed version...

I don't know when that was written.  Did I overlook an e-mail?

Going via Volatile and/or Backports is interesting, but that does not
inform Stable users who don't have Volatile or Backports in
their /etc/apt/sources.list.  So I guess that many Debian Stable users
are still unknownly using an insecure version of the Flash plugin,
installed via the Debian package flashplugin-nonfree in Stable.  And
that is Not Good.

The question now is, do we have a short term solution for the Stable
users ?

Possible approaches:

1. We could flashplugin-nonfree 9.0.48.0.1etch1 to Stable soon.  The
only change is the update of the MD5 checksums.  Obviously the upstream
Flash plugin itself may have been modified heavily, no idea.
2. I can create a special flashplugin-nonfree package for Stable to
remove the insecure plugin from the Stable systems, notifying the users
of this removal, and suggesting them to use Backports.

Can you contact me about further steps that fit your policies please?

Regards,

Bart Martens