libgeda & soname changes (was Re: ongoing curl transition pain)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 12:42:29AM +0100, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:40:35PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > uploaded, sitting in the NEW queue.
> Now in incoming. :)

<Grumble> I don't suppose there is any chance of the rest of NEW being
looked at? libgeda has been waiting 2 weeks now for a simple soname
change.

The situation with libgeda is:
- libgeda and geda-* are released by upstream as a matched set. They
  could come from one tarball, though upstream splits them up. (They are
  all in one upstream repository though.)
- There are no other packages using libgeda. If some were to evolve
  we would have plenty of warning.
- Every geda-* release (which is usually only 1-3 per year) changes
  the soname.

- Therefore I don't see any value in having the correct soname in
  the library's binary package name. This just creates delay and
  work for ftp-master for no return.

We discussed this in #400307 before etch was released. At the time I
fixed the dependencies but left the soname wrong. This violated policy
but was not actually harmful.

Now with the latest upload I fixed the soname, and have immediately hit
delayed NEW processing again. This was the reason why I stopped updating
the library name a while back.

What do you suggest?

Hamish