Re: Debian release cycle for enterprise ?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:02:58AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:07:58PM +0200, Frédéric PICA wrote:
> > I could take a DNS server in example, when the server is configured and
> > work, I have no reason to update the server to a new release for at least 4
> > years if it have the latest security patches. Upgrading to a new stable
> > version means updating configuration files, doing a complete checkup, a test
> > phase, ...

> Which is not a particularly hard thing to do every two years. The whole
> point of running Debian on a server, or at least much of the point, is
> that the world does not end when you have to upgrade; on the contrary,
> it's mostly easy, and in places were it's not easy, it's manageable.

"Hard" is relative.  If you have hundreds of machines running Debian that
aren't simply clones of each other, where each system needs to be
regression-tested with the new OS before deployment, a two-year cycle could
be very daunting.

Personally, I would like to see us able to provide security support for
sarge through the release of lenny, so that users can opt to skip a release
if they need a longer cycle, passing through etch only long enough to adjust
their sources.list.