Re: Recommendations on timing of library transition builds?

Hi Russ,

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:08:03AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> xml-security-c is going through an upstream library transition, which
> affects opensaml and shibboleth-sp.  I uploaded the new xml-security-c a
> while back, but it's still not built on arm or sparc.  Should I wait until
> it's built for all platforms before uploading the packages that will build
> against the new version?  Is it breaking anything right now to have a
> newer xml-security-c with a new SONAME in unstable without having opensaml
> and shibboleth-sp rebuilt?

> I have new releases of opensaml and shibboleth-sp waiting to go and am
> just trying to figure out the timing of when I should upload them.

It doesn't hurt anything outside of these two packages to have them not
rebuilt.

As far as uploading new versions of those two packages, if they have a
versioned build-dep on the new xml-security-c, there's no reason to wait.
If their build-dep isn't versioned, it would be nice if they weren't
uploaded before the buildds can act on them, but that certainly wouldn't be
unique if you did (and far less abusive than, say, GNOME, where library
dependencies five levels deep get thrown at incoming at the same time).