Re: gcc plans for the lenny cycle

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org> writes:

> We would like to know which major upstream versions of gcc are
> expected to be released in the next 24 months and how much time you
> expect them to need to get stable enough for a Debian stable release.

gcc 4.2.0 will be released Real Soon Now (next few months). Changes
are not very disruptive, I suppose not very many packages will fail to
build. It will probably stabilize within a few months.

gcc 4.3.0 release is harder to estimate. Maybe mid-2008.  No really
earth-shaking internal changes are planned, so it probably will also
only take a few months to stabilize. A number of C++ packages will
fail to build because the header dependencies have been streamlined;
however, they should be very easy to fix.

Lenny should definitely go for 4.2, about 4.3, it is too early to say.

--
	Falk