Re: OO.org plans for the lenny cycle

Hi,

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> We would like to know which major upstream versions of OO.org are
> expected to be released in the next 24 months and how much time you

"Minor" releases (2.x) are scheduled for ca. 6 months release cycle;
eventuelly with mirco releases (2.x.y) inbetween.
minor in " since it's a minor release from  the number but as it
contains new features which might be big or not be big...

The next micro release will be 2.2.1, scheduled for beginning of June
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease221).
The next "minor" release will be 2.3.0i, scheduled for beginning of
September (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease23).
Then 2.3.1, 2.4 etc.
( There is still ongoing discussion whether the completely rewritten
chart gets integrated, current plans circle around 2.4.0... )

And somewhen OOo3 will be on the horizon although I don't know of any
plans for it yet but I somehow doubt that it will come that soon....

> expect them to need to get stable enough for a Debian stable release

That's good question.. Depends on what happens... I won't try a forecast for this...

> Our current, very rough plans would mean a release in 18 months with some
> padding in both directions, which would lead to a lenny release around
> October 2008. We expect to shuffle this a bit around to fit everyone's
> needs, so please tell us if this date works for you.

If I count right, that would make 2.5 too late then; so probably it'll
be 2.4.x if nothing serious happens....

Whether it would make sense to wait for 2.5 iw something I could answer
if I had a crystal ball...

Gr??e/Regards,

Ren?
--
 .''`.  Ren? Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73