Re: Why was etch released as stable if it still has bugs?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 02:35:56AM -0700, Seth Lang wrote:
> Why was etch released as stable if it still has bugs?

> I looked in both debian-release and debian-user
> mailing lists, but I still can not find any info as to
> why it was released with rc (release-critical) bugs.
> I'm pretty sure previous debian stable releases where
> not made until rc bugs were at 0.

> You can see on the chart at:
> bugs.debian.org/release-critical that at the release
> of sarge the release-critical bugs were at 0, but you
> see etch was released with several.

Really?  I don't see that at all.  I see a sharp dip marking the point of
the sarge release, but it doesn't reach 0.

At the time that the final release preparations were begun for etch, there
were five known bugs of RC severity in testing that were not security bugs
and had not previously been tagged etch-ignore.  We could mark them
'etch-ignore' to get the count to zero, but what's the value of that?  There
are more important things to worry about than whether it looks like the
number of bugs in etch is correct at release.

> Debian is know to be the most rock solid distro in
> terms of stability, but if debian is releasing stable
> while there are known release-critical bugs does this
> mean that debian is beginning to go the way of other
> distributions

No, it means your interpretation of the raw data is incorrect.

> Is there anywhere else besides
> bugs.debian.org/release-critical/ where one can show
> how stable the stable release of debian is?

Up to the etch release, http://people.debian.org/~sesse/bugscan/ is a more
accurate count of RC bugs that applied to etch.  (After the release, the
stats seem to be screwed up due to some bug related to the change of suite
names that hasn't been pinned down yet.)