Release-critical bug in python-pysqlite2

Hello,

python-pysqlite2 has a symbol collision with the Apache module
mod_cache. This makes an Apache process that loads both mod_cache and
mod_python crash when mod_python loads pysqlite2. This sounds
release-critical to me.

The bug number is 407165. See
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=407165>.

Question 1: Should this bug have severity "critical" (since it "makes
unrelated software on the system (or the whole system) break")? (And
if not, what is an appropriate level?)

The bug report has an attached patch that fixes the crash problem.
However, there also exists a new upstream release containing the bug
fix as well as other bug fixes that would be nice to have in etch. See
<http://initd.org/tracker/pysqlite/wiki/2.3.3_Changelog>.

Question 2: Is it okay to upload the new upstream release with more
bug fixes to unstable for inclusion in testing or should I just patch
the old 2.3.2 release?

(Please cc me as I'm not subscribed to this list.)

--
Regards,
Joel Rosdahl <joel@debian.org>