Re: please hint xarchon 0.50-10.1

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 09:56:38PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   I'll take your word that this fixes this long-standing bug; one of the
> major problems I had here is that I can't actually reproduce it in any
> standard system configuration.

I double-checked, and confirmed that trying to start a new game on my etch
system trips this error.

> > Disclaimer: I do not really understand why
> > -misc-fixed-medium-*-normal-*-15-0-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
> > cannot be loaded, while
> > -misc-fixed-medium-*-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
> > works.

>   I'm not an X font guru (which is why I had so much trouble with this
> bug), but I actually have a clue for a change :).  Apparently I never
> before thought to dissect the font string, or I would have noticed that
> it's asking for a font that is 0 points large.  That seems moderately
> bogus to me!  In fact, I wonder why any system was able to come up with
> a font that's both 15 pixels and 0 points large.  Perhaps I'm not
> understanding the full semantics of the font string?

Well, then I'm not either. :)  It is a rather strange default in any case;
the fallbacks in the provided patch should take care of the compatibility
issues, though I'm not sure of the correctness of the original font spec.