Re: flashplugin-nonfree in etch

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007 12:06, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know what the stable release managers plan to do regarding
>> flashplugin-nonfree in etch.
>>
>> As I see it, there are three options:
>>
>> 1. do nothing, keep a broken package in etch
>>
>> 2. remove the broken package from etch
>>
>> 3. request another upload, as the version currently in stable-proposed
>> updates has broken since it was uploaded (which was before r1)
>>

>> Additionally I would like to ("officially") ask the volatile team about
>> their opinion of including flashplugin-nonfree in volatile/contrib. As I
>> read the requierements for volatile, the package fully fulfills them. (The
>> package is rock stable and just an installer for (the latest) nonfree flash
>> (from adobe) - so it does exactly what the users expect.)
>>

> The new Flash is *known* to break konqueror but works as intended on
> FireFox, the reason for this is konqueror does not support XEmbed.  For a
> stable distribution, I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

I would go for 2 if there is an updated version in volatile we point
people at in the Release Notes. We should also mention that it breaks
with konqueror and maybe describe what to do in the case people want to
use both konqueror and a fixed flashplugin-nonfree. I would use a
versioned conflicts in the latest flashplugin-nonfree if it doesn't work
with the konqueror in stable btw.

It would be good if someone could make sure the newest version (with the
conflicts) gets accepted in volatile and file a bug against
release-notes including a patch IMHO.

Cheers

Luk