Re: package 'vncserver' should be removed from amd64

severity 276948 grave
thanks

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 04:56:36PM +0300, Teodor wrote:
> The 'vncserver' package is not working and FTBFS on amd64 architecture:
> #276948 <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=276948>.

Where does it fail to build?  The package is up to date on all archs.

"Not working" is a problem, of course, and is what the cited bug report
talks about.

> Because of this I propose to be removed from unstable (and automatically
> from lenny). Maybe the 'vnc' source package should be removed along with
> all the binary packages built from this?

Why, what's wrong with the other binary packages built from the vnc source?

Anyway, debian-release is not the right place to propose such a removal.
Binary-only package removals need to go through the package maintainer or,
at least, an NMUer; only once the source package is fixed up wrt this
removal should the binary removal be requested through the ftp team.

As a first step, let's fix the severity of the bug.  This should have been
RC all along - amd64 is not our only 64-bit architecture, so if vncserver is
not 64-bit-clean, that needs to be dealt with (one way or another) instead
of leaving broken binaries in the archive.

> The same package(s) is(are) included in the stable/etch release. Is it
> possible to remove a package after the release?

Yes, though of course fixing the package would be far preferable.

Thanks,