Re: Possible binNMUs needed for balsa, dbmail, pan and tracker

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:30:58AM +0200, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> gmime2.2 2.2.10-1 had an ABI change and has stopped providing two
> functions, strncasecmp and strcasecmp, which probably shouldn't have
> been exported in the first place.

> The following source packages are linked against libgmime and have
> binaries referencing strncasecmp and/or strcasecmp.

> balsa/2.3.17-1
> dbmail/2.2.5-1
> pan/0.129-1
> tracker/0.6.1-1

> (For the background of this request see discussion on bug #434499)

I don't understand why the change to no longer export strncasecmp and
strcasecmp from the ABI is supposed to make a difference here.  The symbol
resolution in balsa should be identical in the existing build as in the new
build, now that gmime2.2 has dropped the symbols.  Is the issue that the
previous version of gmime2.2 exported these functions with a *different
ABI* than the standard one provided by glibc?