Re: IPv6 in Debian

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 07:52:47PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> * Software that binds to the first socket found
>   Then there's software that binds to the first port it gets and is
>   difficult to teach not to do so. [2]

There is nothing like a "first socket". Software either binds to any
address or to a specific address. Some software may lookup the "first"
ip, this is rather broken.

> * The cost of disabling IPv6
>   Once the kernel has loaded the ipv6 module, one can not get it rmmod'ed
>   (or not easily - I have not figured out how to do this remotely on a
>   hosted server). Which means:

It is not possible.

> * Limited usefulnes of IPv6
>   I would guess that less than one in a thousand users have direct access
>   to an IPv6 network. Getting connectivity to IPv6 is still non-trivial
>   (based on my own personal experience).

Less than one in thousand servers uses Fiberchannel, should we drop
support for them?

> * ask the user at install time whether he wants IPv6 on
> * disable IPv6 by default and make it easy to re-enable
> * make IPv6 *easy* to disable

Some arches already have ipv6 compiled in.

Bastian

--
One does not thank logic.
		-- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4