Re: Proposed release goal: Switch to dash as /bin/sh to speed up the boot

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:12:30AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Ubuntu switched /bin/sh to dash several releases ago.  I am not sure
> why, but suspect it was to speed up the boot.

Your suspicion is entirely correct.

(We have taken a certain amount of flak from third parties who had
written buggy scripts that assumed bash was /bin/sh, though. I have only
limited sympathy, and larger vendors will have to cope with /bin/sh not
being bash on other Unixes anyway, but if Debian does this it should be
very clearly release-noted.)

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]