Re: Release Goal Proposal: texlive-transition

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 07:32:58PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > While I think this is a useful case for mass-bugfiling, and that any NMUers
> > of the affected packages should consider fixing these issues /when an NMU is
> > already needed/, it's my impression that the alternative dependency is of
> > only superficial importance.  I don't see any benefit to the quality of
> > lenny for the release team to sanction this as an official "release goal"
> > with sanctioned 0-day NMUs.

> I disagree.

> - tetex-bin and tetex-extra do still exist, as metapackages, and we
>   would like to have the freedom to change their dependencies as we
>   learn about users' needs, without bothering whether some package is
>   broken by this.

Which precisely implies that the functionality provided by
tetex-bin/tetex-extra from one release to the next is not reliable; that
sounds like a net decrease in quality to me...

> - It would be nice if tetex-doc, and therefore the complete tetex-base
>   source package, could be removed.

Sure, lots of things would be nice to do that shouldn't necessarily be done
by means of 0-day NMUs.