Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

Hi,

On Thu Jun 21, 2007 at 17:02:50 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> The release team requested email about proposed release goals for
> Lenny.  Here is one.  I propose to switch to a dependency based SysV
> boot system for Lenny, using the LSB headers in the init.d scripts to
> decide the boot sequence.  It is currently possible to convert
> existing installations to do this.  There are problems with bugs in
> the headers and missing headers, but base and desktop installs are
> working fairly well at the moment.  There are bugs in the halt/reboot
> sequence, but not very serious ones.  I hope to have this fixed soon.
>
> See my slides from the talk I gave during debconf at
> <URL:http://user.skolelinux.no/~pere/mypapers/200706-bootseq/200706-bootseq.html>,
> with video recordings show show up on
> <URL:http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2007/debconf7/>.

I second this release goal (as DD, not yet as RA; i leave that up to Luk
and Andi to decide), and would propose "goal-bootseq" for user-tagging.

Pere, do you know how many packages are currently buggy? How can we
prevent new packages from becoming buggy? Could you give the release
team some numbers so we can decide on making this an release goal or
not.

Greetings
Martin

--