[Otavio Salvador] Re: Proposed release goal: Switch to GRUB2

I'm forwarding it since I forgot to readd the lists on cc.

--- Begin Message ---
Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> writes:

> I wonder if we will also move from yaboot-installer to grub2-installer
> on powerpc, and if you have given any thought to that migration path ?

Our main goal is to switch i386 and amd64 first.

We intend to use GRUB2 as much as possible also to reduce the
duplication work maintaining too many boot-loaders but it's not our
main goal right now to move it as default to other arches. Depending
of how well it goes, we can try to revisit this and maybe move other
arches too.

Obviously it'll have the final word from the porting team who has the
need knownledge to decide if it's worth or not to move for it.

The migration from yaboot shouldn't be hard to handle since its
configuration format can, probably, be converted as well.

The migration path, as for i386 too, could be the installation of the
package with a debconf note asking for the installation of the
boot-loader using grub-installer and the removal of previous
boot-loader.

I wouldn't like to get my boot-loader replaced without any notice.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116