Re: transition: libcurl3 -> libcurl4

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 03:01:11PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 04:43:13AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 03:38:16PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> > > yes, we also have a libcurl transition.

> > > should i now throw it in the wild wild unstable archive?

> > Could you please explain why this transition is needed in the first place?
> > A quick inspection shows that, except for the symbol version change, the
> > list of symbols exported by each of libcurl3_7.15.5-1 and libcurl4_7.16.1-1
> > is identical.

> there is a libcurl function, curl_easy_setopt(3), which is used to pass
> options to the libcurl engine. starting with 7.16.0, thrird party ftp
> optionos has been removed.

That doesn't sound like a very good reason for an soname change to me,
especially when curl_easy_setopt() is defined to return CURLE_FAILED_INIT on
requests for unknown options. :/

I don't suppose that upstream could be talked into rolling back the soname?

Anyway, even if the soname changes, you seem to have changed the names of
the -dev packages as well -- if the only incompatible change is dropping a
handful of deprecated ftp options, that's *definitely* not warranted.
Please revert the -dev package names before uploading to unstable, I'd
really rather we didn't have to do sourceful uploads of 120
reverse-dependencies on top of everything else, on account of an upstream
decision to turn a non-ABI-breaking change into an ABI-breaking one.