Re: gcc plans for the lenny cycle

* Falk Hueffner <falk@debian.org> [2007-04-13 19:42]:
> gcc 4.2.0 will be released Real Soon Now (next few months). Changes
> are not very disruptive, I suppose not very many packages will fail
> to build. It will probably stabilize within a few months.

FWIW, I've been keeping track of 4.2 related package bugs:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=ftbfs-gcc-4.2;users=tbm@cyrius.com

> gcc 4.3.0 release is harder to estimate. Maybe mid-2008.  No really
> earth-shaking internal changes are planned, so it probably will also
> only take a few months to stabilize. A number of C++ packages will
> fail to build because the header dependencies have been streamlined;
> however, they should be very easy to fix.

"a few" =~ 400, but yes, they are trivial to fix and patches for
almost all of them exist.  I'll start filing other 4.3 related bugs in
the coming weeks.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=ftbfs-gcc-4.3;users=tbm@cyrius.com
--
Martin Michlmayr