Re: [etch] initramfs-tools 0.85h

On Friday 13 April 2007 17:22, maximilian attems wrote:
> prepared an updated initramfs-tools for etch that fixes
> important sparc boot fix #418977.
> dannf was so kind to review the diff and ok it for stable upload.
> http://git.debian.org/?p=kernel/initramfs-tools.git;a=commitdiff;h=7849
>de4db161a40ba2b941e1716b98f046f4c5bb;hp=17c940e3d4b0d36b4f4fa9aa7a92372d
>de2af7f1
>
> the bug is already fixed in 0.86 (unstable) in a different
> way getting rid of that hardcoded list at all and included
> any module below drivers/scsi and ..
> for etch that would have been a too late and too big change.
> i expect on the etch time-life further similar bug reports
> for more "exotic" hardware.

Note that this issue is already covered in the Release Notes for both
sparc and hppa:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-missingdrivers
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/hppa/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-missingdrivers

I'm not sure that this version will even solve the issue as the
kernel/udev are currently just unable to load modules for devices on a
sparc sbus and HP bus.

AFAIK, even with the module included in the initrd, you still have to have
it listed in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules for it to be actually loaded.
Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Cheers,
FJP