Re: Please unblock slrn 0.9.8.1pl1-28

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 05:49:20PM +0200, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> >> I decided to disable the charset patch introduced in -22 again,
> >> because it leads to some problems which I think aren't acceptable
> >> for a stable release (e.g. #411667).

> >> Please unblock slrn 0.9.8.1pl1-28 which has this patch disabled.

> > Your upload seems to disable three different patches, not just one;
> > why was it not sufficient to disable the last, "fallback_charset" patch,
> > given that it was stated in the bug report that the crash only happens
> > when fallback_charset is set?

> Because there are too much broken newsreaders in the world (see #406210) which
> do not declare a charset in the header of articles, and there's no way to specify
> a default charset for broken articles with only the charset patch enabled (without
> the fallback_charset patch).

Sorry, but how does enabling utf8 support in slrn make the lack of a default
charset for broken articles any worse than it already is?  If I'm in a utf-8
locale (which will be the default for etch after all), how is not having the
utf8 patch better than having the utf8 patch but not the fallback_charset
patch?  And if I'm in a non-UTF8 locale, how is not having the utf8 patch
better than having the utf8 patch w/o fallback_charset?

It sounds to me like dropping these other patches causes a regression in
terms of utf8 support for etch with no gain, which is IMHO a rather big
deal.